Welcome to ORLANDO THEME PARK NEWS!
Spaceship Earth IS DIRTY!!! LOOK!:
Some miscellaneous pictures at dawn:
I like this one:
Some confuse the Wonders of Life Pavilion with the Universe of Energy I guess:
Samu, I found some interesting information about the Epcot Sphere on Wikipedia:
The structure is similar in texture to the United States pavilion from Expo 67 in Montreal, but unlike that structure, Spaceship Earth is a complete sphere, supported on legs. The structure is often humorously referred to as a giant golf ball.
Geometrically, Spaceship Earth is a derivative of a pentakis dodecahedron, with each of the 60 isosceles triangle faces divided into 16 smaller equilateral triangles (with a bit of fudging to make it rounder). Each of those 960 flat panels is sub-divided into four triangles, each of which is divided into three isosceles triangles to form each point. In theory, there are 11,520 total isosceles triangles forming 3840 points. In reality, some of those triangles are partially or fully nonexistent due to supports and doors; there are actually only 11,324 of them, with 954 partial or full flat panels
The appearance of being a monolithic sphere is an architectural goal that was achieved through a structural trick. Spaceship Earth's is in fact two structural domes. Six legs are supported on pile groups that are driven up to 160 feet into Central Florida's soft earth. Those legs support a steel box-shaped ring at the sphere's perimeter, at about 30 degrees south latitude in earth-terms. The upper structural dome sits on this ring. A grid of trusses inside the ring supports the two helical structures of the ride and show system. Below the ring, a second dome is hung from the bottom, completing the spherical shape. The ring and trusses form a table-like structure which separates the upper dome from the lower. Supported by and about three feet off of the structural domes is a cladding sphere to which the shiny Alucobond panels and drainage system are mounted.
The cladding was designed so that when it rains, no water pours off the sides onto the ground. (All water is "absorbed" through one inch gaps in the facets and is collected in a gutter system - and finally channeled into the World Showcase Lagoon.)
Yes, thanks Bigfoot for the informations! On Wikipedia you can find tons of informations and facts about almost everything!!
The only thing is that many doubt its reliability because as you may know, everybody can change the informations... but still, great informations!!! Thanks!
Samuele, First off, thanks for providing us with this AWESOME site!!! It so is interesting to see orlando when your 500 miles away! Keep up the great work!
My question is is GM still sponsoring Test Track, and if they are how much longer does the contract exist? Thanks!
Thank you so much, Anonymous! I really, really appreciate!
About GM,even though its $100 million sponsorship contract with Walt Disney World has expired last year (2009) and there was never any announcement of a renewal, the company’s logo and presence is still visible all around the pavilion...
So, neither they are sure of renewing the contract with Disney...
I hope this helps! :-)!
Have a great day!!
^ Thanks it did! Once again, I cant explain to you how much I love your site!
Please, Support Our Sponsors
Having to cover all the Theme Parks and Attractions in the Central Florida area is not an easy task. You can be sure that your donations will help us to continue to bring you all the latest news, rumors, and photo-updates as we have always done in the past.
- ► 2012 (1062)
- ► 2011 (1254)
- Something's growing... at SeaWorld
- Galaxi Spin coming this fall
- Today... Sea World!
- New Surf attraction coming soon!
- Universal Studios... still empty?
- Remembering Cypress Gardens
- Space Mountain pictures
- Magic Kingdom 06/25 update PART 2
- Toy Story 3 again!!
- Summer Nightastic videos
- Magic Kingdom 06/25 update PART 1
- The Disney Look... to the Past! (06/21 - 06/27)
- New restaurant taking over Race Rock
- Busch Gardens unveils new site
- New Radiator spring video
- Summer Nights at BGT
- New monthly payment for AP
- Did you notice?
- Captain EO passholder preview!
- Downtown Disney June 2010 update
- Celebrate Tonight! well, maybe not.
- Toy Story 3 Review
- New trains for Gwazi?
- More Informations about Disney's Golden Oak
- Club 626
- Disney's Golden Oak Community!
- New... 2011?
- New handheld device for people with disabilities
- Diver attacked by alligator at Silver Springs
- Tomorrow: MK and Epcot
- What does Busch Gardens really need?
- New Spa at Disney's Vero Beach Resort
- Universal Studios update
- New Disney Waterpark's commercial!
- Taste of Africa coming to DAK
- Fantasyland Expansion update
- OOTL: New Generation Festival at DLP
- Changes at the TTA
- P.R. already knows what's coming!!
- DHS' history!
- Alligator Alley coming soon..
- Toy Story 3 succesfull
- Feel the spirit. Feel the speed.
- Disney's Hollywood Studios update - PART 2
- The Disney Look... to the Past! (06/14 - 06/20)
- Ridemakerz returns to DTD in California
- For your safety,...
- Disney's Hollywood Studios update - PART 1
- Magical Midway
- Epcot Center commercial
- New Character dinner at Disney's Vero Beach
- Epcot progress
- News from the TTA!!
- Pirate's Dinner Adventure: Official OTPN Review
- Tokyo Disneyland will have Philarmagic
- Facts About Manta
- Main Street Electrical Parade
- What's next... in Orlando
- More info about new projects at WDW
- 3 millionth guest welcomed at Epcot Character Spot...
- Creepy discovery at WDW
- Little Mermaid Adventure
- The Emporium layout
- Seuss Landing works
- New stuff at Epcot (June 2010)
- Is World of Colors really that good? Not really......
- Nickelodeon Family Suite unveils new attractions
- Epcot construction report
- The Emporium's new layout
- Magic Kingdom under construction
- The Disney Look... to the Past! (06/07 - 06/13)
- News about Star Tours V.2
- Universal Orlando update (PART 2)
- News about the Hacienda
- World of Colors to debut... TODAY!!
- Universal Orlando update (PART 1)
- Disney to go to sleep?
- How to escape the heat
- New land in Busch Gardens
- A Disney Record!
- All aboard!
- OOTL: World of Colors additions
- Our Pirates.... not so good.
- OOTL: Silly Symphony Swings
- Out of the loop: Ratatouille at DLP?
- New MK update
- OOTL: DreamWorks on board
- SeaWorld's killer whale dies
- Disney's Animal Kingdom update
- How to score 999,999 on Buzz Lightyear's (Florida ...
- To share or not to share??
- Epcot Center update
- The Disney Look.. to the Past! (05/31 - 06/06)
- New stuff at Disney World
- New DVC resorts! Really?
- Islands of Adventure update
- I have a surprise for you....
- Pictures of Electrical Parade!
- Legoland Florida to expand soon
- Today: Epcot!
- Another Electrical Parade video
- OOTL: Six Flags Great Adventure
- Delta Dreamflight
- DCL video
- Magic Kingdom update
- OOTL: New stores open in Disneyland
- Magic Kingdom today!
- OTPN's favorite Italian Restaurants
- Carousel's name changed yesterday
- Summer Nightastic is coming!
- Pictures of BG's new coaster
- Last block added to the Disney Dream!
- OOTL: Disney's California Adventure
- Admin news
- ▼ June (115)