On Saturday, July 15, Walt Disney Parks & Resorts Chairman Bob Chapek took the stage at D23 Expo 2017 to present what’s new and what’s next at Disney destinations around the world. Several projects and updates were announced for the Walt Disney World Resort, including a new line-up of attractions at Magic Kingdom Park, Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios, new resort hotel experiences and two new transportation options. Here's a recap of everything that was announced...
Magic Kingdom Park:
- Based on the highest-rated attraction at Shanghai Disneyland, a “Tron”-themed attraction is coming to Magic Kingdom Park in a new area near Space Mountain.
- A new live entertainment theater, located off of Main Street U.S.A., will be an entirely new venue for world-class entertainment.
- Epcot will have a new E-ticket attraction within Future World based on the action-packed world of “Guardians of the Galaxy.” To make way for this new adventure, Ellen’s Energy Adventure inside Universe of Energy will have its final day of operation on Aug. 13, 2017
- Within World Showcase, in an all-new space in the France pavilion, a new “Ratatouille”-inspired attraction will take Guests on a dazzling chase with the sights, sounds and smells of Gusteau’s Parisian Restaurant.
- To showcase the splendor and majesty of China, an updated film will be added using a next-generation digital camera system to film a brand new, seamless Circle-Vision show for the China pavilion.
- Mission: SPACE will reopen later this summer with an updated Orange Mission, joined by a new Green Mission that allows younger cadets to join the adventure.
- Adjacent to Mission: SPACE, a new table-service restaurant will invite Guests to travel high above the Earth for an unforgettable dining experience with a great view.
Disney’s Hollywood Studios:
- Star Wars: Galaxy’s Edge is the name of the new Star Wars-themed land opening in 2019. Guests will encounter several characters, including BB-8, Chewbacca, Rex and Kylo Ren.
- Mickey and Minnie’s Runaway Railway will feature an original story that will take Guests on a journey inside the world of Disney Channel’s Emmy Award-winning “Mickey Mouse” cartoon shorts, turning the flat cartoon world into an incredible dimensional display. Located inside the Chinese Theatre, this new attraction will replace The Great Movie Ride, which will have its final day of operation on Aug. 13, 2017.
- Toy Story Land is scheduled to open summer 2018.
Resorts & Transportation:
- Disney Riviera Resort, the proposed 15th Disney Vacation Club location, will be located near Epcot with a rooftop restaurant that will have unbelievable views of nighttime spectaculars.
- An immersive Star Wars-themed hotel will be the most experiential concept ever. Guests will have a one-of-a-kind experience where a luxury resort meets a multi-day adventure in a galaxy far, far away.
- Disney Skyliner, a new transportation system that gives Guests a bird’s-eye view, will connect Epcot and Disney’s Hollywood Studios to four resorts - Disney’s Art of Animation Resort, Disney’s Pop Century Resort and Disney’s Caribbean Beach Resorts, as well as the proposed 15th Disney Vacation Club property, Disney Riviera Resort.
- Minnie Van service is a whimsical, point-to-point transportation service that will help Guests get around the Walt Disney World Resort in a jiffy.