The Studio Backlot Tour, an opening-day attraction at Disney's Hollywood Studios, officially closed its doors at 7 p.m. on Saturday, September 27, 2014. After more than 25 years, this iconic attraction is no more. Despite the grim sound of this news, most theme park fans around the world actually rejoiced when hearing about the elimination of this 35-minute ride, as it had been shortened and simplified over the years, resulting in a sub-par experience.


The last day of operation of the Studio Backlot Tour was filled with diverse emotions: theme park fans were excited to experience the attraction during such special occasion, some Cast Members were shedding a few tears (probably due to the entire team being scattered in other rides and, possibly, in other parks), and casual daytime Guests didn't have a clue what all the commotion was about.

Especially entertaining was the very last ride ever, in which we personally participated. While we too were definitely not fond of this attraction, we realized that this was part of the history of the Walt Disney World Resort. The park formerly known as Disney-MGM Studios would not have existed if the Studio Backlot Tour had not been included in the plans, as it constituted the 60 percent of the park at that time (the other 40 percent consisting of The Great Movie Ride, the Indiana Jones Epic Stunt Spectacular, and other minor experiences). For this reason, it should at least be remembered.

Today we present you two videos of the entire experience, as seen from the eyes of all the people that participated in the last ride ever on the Studio Backlot Tour. Make sure to enjoy both videos:

Pre-Show:


Ride-Through:


As you can see, despite the fact that quite a few special effects did not work during both the pre-show (water was supposed to splash people at the end) and in the ride itself (the earthquake effect did not work during the Catastrophe Canyon sequence), Guests and Cast Members were all very excited during that special time, but we should all be especially excited for the future of the park. In fact, removing this attraction freed a considerable amount of space, which could definitely be turned into a spectacular new land. Rumors point to new Pixar-themed attractions, but we will discuss that in another occasion.

Before concluding, we would like to thank all the Cast Members, including those who did their part behind the scenes, that worked at the Studio Backlot Tour in the past, and wish them all the best.

12 Comment(s):

Greg said...

I bet this will turn into Cars World like in California...

One can only hope at this point, Greg...

Anonymous said...

Cars land has absolutely nothing to do with the Studios Park though.

Anonymous said...

Pixar? What happened to Star Wars?!

jon81uk said...

In response to the anonymous commenters;

Star Wars land is still expected but in the area around Star Tours and possibly replacing Indiana Jones.

There is already a Pixar Studios area within the park with Toy Story Mania in it. Cars and other Pixar rides will fit in an expansion of this area. It is also expected that the studio name may be dropped.

Anonymous said...

I for one won't miss anything other than catastrophe canyon. This never made the grade as a ride in my books. Please, Disney, do something great with the area.

Just noticed, high pitched joyous "Woooo!"s come across just as annoying as Brazilian tour group chanting. At least on a recording.

Anonymous said...

The stuff that movie fans will truly miss are/were the many recognizable props and vehicles from your favorite films that you'd drive past scattered around the back lot. Don't keep this stuff locked away out of sight-this is/was supposed to be a MOVIE STUDIO, after all. Something for both Disney and Universal to bear in mind.

Being a Backlot Tour Castmember was one of my favorite assignments at the Studios. We still had Residential Street and the water tank when I was there. I will miss this attraction so much, it was an important part of my life. Thanks for sharing the videos.

Do you think they will remove the areas where they make the props and clothes and build them somewhere else? They could build Pixar quite big if they do this.

jon81uk said...

Andy, I really think they should move costuming out of the park. If this isn't a working studio anymore they can make a lot more space by moving a lot of buildings out from the backlot area.

Anonymous said...

I actually hope they don't turn it into Cars Land. If you want to experience carsland then go to DCA. Hopefully they turn it into something NEW and exciting instead of cloning another ride.

Anonymous said...

Not sure if it was true but overheard that the actual last Back lot tour went to the Cast Members there after the guests all left. wonder if there will be a posting of that one, our they want this to be known as the last ride.

Post a Comment