Welcome to ORLANDO THEME PARK NEWS!
Here you will find News, Rumors and Picture-updates from all Orlando's Theme Parks on a daily basis. We currently support any browser: Google Chrome, Firefox, Opera, Internet Explorer, and Safari. For additional information on our site, click here.
Saturday, September 04, 2010 | Posted by OTPN administrator | | Edit Post
Here you are our weekly Disney look... to the past!:
This Week in Disney History:
August 30 - September 5
August 31, 1938 - Walt and Roy O. Disney secure land in Burbank, CA for a new studio
While Walt was the dreamer and innovator, his successes were inextricably linked to his older brother Roy, whose financial acumen turned those visions into reality. With the studio's early operations buoyed from Mickey Mouse cartoon to Silly Symphony short, the blockbuster box office returns of Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs fiscally liberated Walt and Roy for the first time in their careers. Working out of a cramped studio on Hyperion Avenue in Los Angeles' Silver Lake district, the profits from Snow White enabled the brothers to purchase land to accommodate their rapidly expanding workforce. They made a $10,000 deposit on 51 acres in Burbank near Griffith Park, opening their new studio in December 1940 - and it remains in operation through present day. The new animation building was utilized for nearly every Disney animated production from 1941 through 1995, when Walt Disney Animation Studios moved to its current home across Riverside Drive, the Roy E. Disney Animation Building.
September 4, 2001 - Tokyo DisneySea opens
Built adjacent to Tokyo Bay, the sister park to Tokyo Disneyland fittingly honors the spirit of exploration. Nautical themes tie together seven exotic "ports of call," beginning in Mediterranean Harbor, where Venetian gondola boats cruise canals and the windows of Tokyo DisneySea Hotel MiraCosta (also opened on this date) add lively energy - but the smoldering volcano Mount Prometheus across the water begs for a closer look. Gateway to Mysterious Island, it is home to the high-speed thrill ride Journey to the Center of the Earth. Escape and you can venture to the Lost River Delta, featuring the Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Crystal Skull, or discover the American Waterfront, whose New York Harbor features the Tower of Terror - created with a mythology separate from its California and Florida counterparts. Tokyo DisneySea will mark its tenth anniversary in 2011 with the "Be Magical!" celebration, and add the water spectacular Fantasmic! to its entertainment lineup.
Also this week in Disney history:
1940 - The animated short "Pluto's Dream House" debuts
1995 - Leaders preside over the ground-breaking of Disney's Coronado Springs Resort
1935 - The animated short "Pluto's Judgment Day" debuts
1948 - Walt outlines ideas for his "Mickey Mouse Park" in a memo. These ideas became Disneyland Park
2009 - Disney announces its purchase of Marvel Entertainment
1939 - The Donald Duck cartoon short "The Autograph Hound" debuts
2001 - River Country closes at Walt Disney World Resort
2005 - Disney Editions releases The Kingdom Keepers by Ridley Pearson
2007 - An updated version of the Circle-Vision 360 film O Canada, starring Martin Short, officially opens at Epcot
1933 - "Puppy Love" (Mickey & Pluto cartoon short) debuts
1959 - "How to Have an Accident at Work" (Donald Duck cartoon short) debuts
1979 - Big Thunder Mountain opens at Disneyland Park
1985 - Adventure Thru Inner Space closes at Disneyland Park
1991 - Casting Center opens at the Disneyland Paris Resort
1988 - "Live with Regis and Kathie Lee" debuts on television
2001 - The animated television series "Disney's The Legend of Tarzan" debuts
1942 - "How to Play Baseball" (Goofy cartoon short) debuts
2001 - DisneyQuest in Chicago closes
2006 - Tower of Terror opens at Tokyo DisneySea
1927 - The very first Oswald the Luck Rabbit cartoon short, "Trolley Troubles," debuts
1930 - The Mickey Mouse animated short "The Chain Gang" debuts, featuring a dog character who would eventually become Pluto
1966 - Flying Saucers close at Disneyland Park
1994 - 20,000 Leagues Under the Sea closes at Magic Kingdom Park
1995 - Disney Ice opens in Anaheim, CA
2001 - "The Amazing Race" debuts on CBS
All pictures and informations are subject to the copyright of the Walt Disney® Company. All rights are reserved.
If I had the $$$, I would love to go to DisneySea and stay at the Hotel MiraCosta. It looks amazing.
Please, Support Our Sponsors
Having to cover all the Theme Parks and Attractions in the Central Florida area is not an easy task. You can be sure that your donations will help us to continue to bring you all the latest news, rumors, and photo-updates as we have always done in the past.
- ► 2012 (1062)
- ► 2011 (1254)
- Journey into Imagination - RIDE OVERVIEW
- History of the Magic Kingdom
- One Kodak sign gone
- Food & Wine booths
- Tournaments update n°9
- Snow White subtle changes
- A small update on Magic Kingdom
- Universal Orlando fun facts
- Disney's Hollywood Studios update
- Please, support us!
- New doors for parking trams
- New video of Cheetaka
- Wild Africa Trek construction update
- Farewell, Village Beatniks
- Future World extends hours!
- Animal Kingdom update (Sept. 2010)
- Let the memories begin?
- When night falls over MK...
- New robots for Star Tours 2!!
- Disney's Yatch Club resort
- The Disney Look... to the Past! (09/20 - 09/26)
- Which is your favorite land?
- General MK update
- How to make a perfect pizza?
- Epcot update (September 22, 2010)
- Tournaments update n°8
- Follow the announcements right here!
- Did you hear??
- New Fantasyland update (PART 2)
- New Fantasyland update (PART 1)
- Let's try another one...
- Block Party Bash parade video
- Disney's Hollywood Studios update
- Busch Gardens' teaser videos
- Even more bad news.....
- More info about Aulani resort
- NEW Hacienda de San Angel pictures
- Report cards are coming soon....
- More news on HRRR
- What's happening to HRRR?
- Duffy the Bear special event!
- News about The Art of Animation resort
- New signs in Future World!
- Snow White
- More info on our trip...
- Progress on Fantasy Surf
- The Disney Look... to the Past! (09/13-19)
- Mouse Gear news
- Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
- Quick and cheap or great and expansive?
- New music added!
- Two new restaurants open today at Epcot
- A look at TWISTER
- New Parade for DHS!
- OTPN goes on vacation (a very special one!!)
- New Fantasyland update
- Third park... for DL Paris??!
- Storytime with Belle now closed
- Tales of an abandoned DHS
- Doug Parks dies at 60
- Winnie the Pooh Fastpass update
- The Incredibly dirty Hulk
- Tournaments update n°7
- Islands of Adventures update
- Kodak out of Imagination
- Magic Kingdom update
- Discovery Cove's new offer
- Universal Studios update
- The Disney Look... to the Past! (09/06-12)
- Where do you stay?
- Epcot update
- Buzz Lightyear's news
- News about "WD - One Man's dream"!
- Inside Doctor Doom's FearFALL
- OTPN's newest videos!
- Fantasyland Expansion weekly update
- Removal of Kodak's signs confirmed
- Hacienda de San Angel tarp-free!
- OTPN changes coming soon
- Star Tours V.1 TRIBUTE
- Official press release of "Cirque Dreams"
- Around the World (Showcase): ITALY
- LAST DAY OF STAR TOURS!
- Murphy doesn't feel very well...
- Tournaments update n°6
- Tokyo Disneyland's milestone
- WDW's new stuff (September 2010)
- New info about Cheetaka CONFIRMED!
- ATTENTION, please
- Toy Story Midway Mania update
- Speaking of "hidden" Mickeys....
- Magic Kingdom update
- Interior artwork of the Hacienda!
- World of Color Roadshow
- The Disney Look... to the Past! (08/30 - 09/05)
- Hollywood Studios update
- New BG teaser video
- Liberty Tree Tavern almost done!
- Epcot 09/02/10 update
- Kodak leaving? One more confirmation
- Village Beatniks leaving soon
- Luxury Pet resort opens at WDW
- Changes coming to Kilimanjaro Safaris?
- Space Mountain's new audio (by OTPN)
- Fantasyland Expansion update
- ElecTRONica artworks
- A Look at the Gaylord Palms Resort - PHOTOS
- Another new resort for WDW?
- Hacienda de San Angel update
- Tournaments update n°5
- ▼ September (112)